The United Nations Mission in Support of the Hodeidah Agreement (UNMHA) said today, Monday, that the withdrawal of the joint forces from Hodeidah Governorate requires a discussion between the Yemeni parties; The day after the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs “OCHA”, praised the progress of the Houthi rebels.
A statement issued by the United Nations mission said, “The mission notes the events represented by the withdrawal of the joint forces from the city of Hodeidah and from the districts of Al-Durayhimi and Bait Al-Faqih and parts of the Al-Tuhayta district and the control of Ansar Allah (Houthis), and the significant changes that resulted in the lines of contact in the governorate.”
She added: “These events and changes call for opening a discussion between the concerned parties in the Hodeidah Agreement.”
And she added that she “stands ready to facilitate the discussion in accordance with the framework of the agreement. It also stresses that sustainable peace can only be achieved through joint efforts.
The United Nations mission called on the parties to the conflict to “fulfill their obligations towards the protection of civilians, especially the internally displaced in the governorate.”
In the same context, the United Nations said today, Monday, that the progress of the Houthi rebels may lead to “improving the movement of civilians” between the governorates of Hodeidah and Sana’a and along the roads linking the city of Hodeidah with other areas.
The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs “OCHA”, quoting Yemeni government sources, said that “about 700 families (about 4,900 people) were displaced to Al-Khokha, located more than 100 km south of Hodeidah, while another 184 families (about 1,300 people) were displaced to South, to the coastal city of Mocha on the Red Sea.
The office said in a statement that “no displacement has been reported within the areas that have come under the control of the de facto authorities,” referring to the Houthis.
She pointed out that the recent advance of the Houthis near the main port of Hodeidah in Yemen, led to the displacement of more than six thousand people.
The joint forces withdrew from their positions in Hodeidah governorate at the end of last week, and said in a statement that they withdrew from the sites covered by the Stockholm Agreement, while the Houthi militia directly took control of the areas from which they had withdrawn.